Sunday, October 5, 2008

I am now an officially registered certified nursing assistant!

Bureaucracy

Current mood: nauseated
Category: Life

I am now an official, registered, certified nursing assistant!

The story goes like this: my assigned partner and I are called (after waiting for nearly 4 hours). She had to pee and took a run to the powder room. The evaluator called her name and I told her that she had just ran to the refresher. The evaluator said, that's OK because you are going first. I thought this was odd since in all the previous groups the person listed first went first, meaning I should have been the "resident" that the candidate being tested would be caring for.
I fly through my 5 skills, finished within the 25 minute time limit. The evaluator then starts telling me to put my shoes on the floor at the head of the bed, and calls me by my partner's name. I tell her that my name is Lisa and she gets this horrified look on her face. She calls to the other evaluator who is just about to fax the score sheet in for evaluation in Texas. She erases all of the marks and I have to start over, with her marking the form that is for me. I ended up being evaluated on 9 skills instead of 5 (she did not make me demonstrate that I knew how to wash my hands a second time).
The evaluator admitted it was her mistake, but she was so distracted by other things, she didn't notice or hear me when I introduced myself to the patient for the first time after walking into the "room."
I was so relieved to be done with the first five, the second set was even more nerve-wracking. My partner had it easy since I had just performed all of the skills she then had to perform on me (the first 5 skills I did). I think the evaluator went easy on us after that.

Gotta go take another test!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.