Sunday, October 12, 2008

Again with the religion in a non-religious class

Why is it OK to share your religion in school, but it's not OK for an atheist to even exist much less try to share their opinion?

Because then the religious types would have to think for themselves in trying to defend their mythology and irrational belief in that which does not and cannot exist.

Interpersonal communications class is about learning to be a better communicator by learning to listen and be "other oriented" without compromising your own self. I actually do enjoy learning about other cultures, especially their history because it really helps me to understand where the person I am trying to communicate is coming from and how I can be sensitive to their mores and ethics. But just about every ethnic group out there seems to center their philosophy and traditions around religion (notable exceptions include: Britain, Australia, some other countries in Europe, some parts of America, Canada).

I try to be sensitive to what I know are rational traditions of religion (are there any?) but I will not allow conversations to turn toward talk about an invisible sky bully. They can talk and I will try to listen to what they are really trying to say, but I will not add my own two cents' about such an evil and malevolent thought disease. I can't say anything nice and won't just to make someone feel better: because it really doesn't help!

I really do think that everyone who is religious is so afraid of dying that they live their whole lives in fear and trying to find something else that scares them even more (the invisible sky bully that will make your life hell if you even think about thinking something naughty). Dying is a natural part of the human life.

Remembering that we have a limited time to do something that will make us feel like we have accomplished something important in improving our lives, the lives of our families and friends is something that would make this whole world a MUCH better place! Instead we have people who "believe" that someone else will take care of them and make it a better place if they just wish it hard enough. This is a failure to take responsibility for one's own life!

I am always greatly saddened to hear that someone has died (if I know them, I will miss them tremendously, especially if they have done anything to improve the human condition on this planet) but that is how life ends, eventually. Medicine is greatly improving life and the longevity of those of us who take care of ourselves, but there is a limit to the construct of the human body. Maybe someday we can enhance our bodies increasing our longevity but I hope that we do not forget our humanity. I hope that we will still eventually die at some time so that we will remember that our time is limited and we should make the most of every moment we have, live life to the fullest with no regrets!

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to live forever, because I would! Life is a wonderful thing! I just wish the religious would let me live my life the way I think is best for me without their b*llsh!t homilies to try to make me "live" better. (I'm not hurting them, OK, maybe I am hurting their feelings or making them doubt their beliefs-oh, I hope so!-but I'm not physically or emotionally hurting them!) Mostly it just makes me feel sad because of the wasted life they are living and how awful it must be to live in constant fear!

As part of the interpersonal communications class, one lady brought in a song for us to listen to that was supposed to represent her values: it was a religious song. I can't even remember anything about it, it is not the kind of music I listen to anyway. I just kept thinking about how limited this lady's life is because she chooses to live in fear and how sad she seemed. She is not from America but speaks very good English. She is taking the class to improve her interpersonal communication skills (of course) but I think she just needs to lose the religion, start thinking for herself and get some confidence. Get happy! So far I thought her skills were quite good. I'm taking the class because it is a requirement for graduation with a nursing degree (and if I had known that I was going to have a public speaking instructor I would have signed up for public speaking or small group communications, I feel like I am taking two classes in one: interpersonal communications and public speaking). I'm not the only person in the class who is a bit upset about having to get up in front of the class. I know my public speaking skills are not top notch, but they are good enough to get me through a day at work, and that's all I really need. I'm not going to try to be a public speaker.

No comments: