Sunday, September 9, 2007

Autism and ADHD

This is going to a very different post than my first ones, and hopefully most of my posts will be more along these lines. I need to rant sometimes, especially when something at work just brings my blood to a boil, but I really want to share the experiences I have as a nursing student and how I integrate the experience with my reason.
I just received my first text book for my basic psychology class. I am excited! Not necessarily about psychology, which can have some very mystical thoughts on how our minds work.
I cracked open the book and started looking over things and found a companion web-site for the book. This must be part of how they can do this class on-line! I check out the web-site and find that I can do assignments...I wonder if I can get a head start..Oh, heck, it won't hurt!
Now I know more about autism and ADHD than ever before. Some of this stuff seems scary (especially the part about removing metals from children's bodies and we don't know if it even helps cure the autism)!
I know it is frustrating and scary to have a child with social, developmental and physical needs, but think about what you are doing to your children! Do the research, find out about alternatives, talk to your doctor, talk to other doctors, check and double check and triple check! Some of these therapies seem pretty harmless, but they also seem to not really do anything to help the children. Some of the therapies seem downright medieval and need to be researched more carefully. Some of these therapies may do more harm than good and we need to be vigilant in being advocates for each other in keeping the charlatans from practicing their witchcraft.
ADHD doesn't seem as devastating, but I am sure it can still be as frustrating and difficult to deal with. (I know from working with an adult ADHD individual that it is frustrating and difficult to deal with at times, especially when the individual does not take their medication at the prescribed dose and times...) Although it is incurable by any treatments that we currently know about, it does seem to be controllable in most individuals, even if they are not one of the lucky few to outgrow it by the time they reach adulthood.
I encourage anyone who has ADHD, or has a child with ADHD to talk to your doctor, follow their advice, talk to them more about how the medication and other therapy is helping or not. It seems that the earlier ADHD is diagnosed and treatment started the better the overall outcome for the child and adult. And SUGAR does not cause or exacerbate ADHD!
Now I have two more of my text books, making the completion of my collection for this quarter at 60%. I am only $300 dollars poorer for this collection of books and they are all used! I love books and have a difficult time letting them go, even if I never plan to use them again, but I think I will have to start...anyone interested in a calculus book?

No comments: