Sunday, March 22, 2009

Disturbed energy field?

You've got to be kidding, right? You're not? This is a real "nursing diagnosis?" What have I gotten myself into?
Sociology and psychology have their mysticism about them. I sometimes think they want to keep it obscure so they can keep their jobs. And it is difficult to quantify what goes on in the neurons of our brains and how that chemical activity turns into thoughts and consciousness. But I do think there are some actual observable phenomenon that occur in peoples behaviors, that we can use to learn from and to treat people with problems. Utilizing nursing diagnoses that use social and psychological issues as the focus I can do, if it is truly the problem.

Disturbed energy field? This is entire bullshit! I have a difficult time dealing with the whole spiritual aspect of nursing, but if that's what keeps them happy and it will help them heal-because they are happy (not because god is taking care of them) I will go along. I will close my eyes while they pray, but I will not pray. I will go through the motions to keep the patient calm and happy, but I cannot believe in their fantasies. A disturbed energy field is entire fantasy!
How can we say we have an evidence based practice when we include such fantasies (energy fields and religion) into that practice?

Can anyone out there provide evidence of an energy field around a living person? Can anyone provide evidence that that energy field can be disturbed in such a way that it causes psychological, emotional, or physical discomfort? Can anyone provide evidence that praying will actually help a client heal? OK, meditation has been shown to help patients relax, which can promote healing, so prayer can be thought of as fantasy meditation and can probably help. I'm all for rituals that help you relax and focus on positive outcomes (I still don't have to believe in your particular fantasy, though).

That's why I can actually support a client who wants to pray or read their bible. These are activities that might provide distraction or relaxation and enable the client to focus on positive outcomes: all of which may promote healing. A disturbed energy field is just too silly!

No comments: