Sunday, September 7, 2008

To Lily

Lily, I don't know of any other way to contact you, so I will post a blog.

Thank you for the comment and sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Been very busy and somewhat frustrated with school.

So, why are you choosing the nursing profession? I have been in healthcare for more than 18 years. I actually tried getting into nursing school 15 years ago, but I suddenly found myself a single parent of a 5 year old and a 3 year old. I was ready to apply, but I just could not figure out how I was going to pay for school without working so I could actually see my children. So, I set that path aside for a while.
Why nursing for me? I actually greatly enjoy helping people. Sometimes it is hard, because the patients aren't appreciative, but most of the time, they are, even when they aren't even aware of where they are. Sometimes it just takes a smile from me, and a few kind words to make a grumpy patient change their whole personality.

It is a difficult subject, talking about death, even with those who have disillusioned themselves into believing there is another life after they die. It's even more difficult for those of us who refuse to kid ourselves. I try to see what the person has accomplished and appreciate what they have contributed to the world, even if it has only affected them or those very close to them.

I created this blog for the very same reason you feel you have nobody to talk to about these issues. It helps me get things out and when I get the positive comment, it really helps!
I am very lucky (I don't believe in luck, but I don't want to say blessed, either) to have a boyfriend who I can talk to about these issues in a rational manner at any time. I come home, rant and rave about the spirituality being crammed down the patient's throats and mine, and find a little peace from his logical approach. The whole human race is not doomed!

I don't know why you have chosen nursing, but I am hoping that it because you have a passion for the profession of nursing. Death and dying is something you will have to deal with, but hopefully not on a daily basis. Pain and the treatment of pain is a very large part of nursing (all of the places I have worked at want to treat pain pro actively). Stay away from hospice and hospice care, unless you get a handle on dealing with death.

I will have the most difficulty staying with the patient who wants me to stay while they pray. I don't want to be part of the delusion, I don't want to encourage it at all. But, most people would not be ready to speak rationally about the whole subject either, so I don't want to discourage the practice, especially while their health is an issue.

I want to be true to my values, I would love to share my values with others, but they have to be ready to evaluate, rationally, what I am saying. They have to be ready to evaluate what they have been doing to themselves their entire lives. This will be most difficult, especially if they are frightened due to health, in pain or have any other major stress.

I encourage you to stick with it, especially if you really have a passion for nursing. We really need more nurses who can help the atheist patient who needs comfort! I am always available to talk to and encourage you to visit my myspace site where you can leave me a message any time.

http://www.myspace.com/xaoslimbo

No comments: